Second International Scientific Symposium “The Book and Society: A Social, Philological and Intellectual History of the Book and Its Present”
The Book and Society: A Social, Philological and Intellectual History of the Book and Its Present, the second international scientific symposium organised by the Department of Sociology and Department of Croatian Studies of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Split, National and University Library in Zagreb and Split Literary Circle, will be held on 29 and 30 September 2016 at the Milesi Palace in Split.
The purpose of the symposium is to address both theoretical and practical issues related to the role of the book, that is, to open a dialogue on the impact it has had from the earliest days of its history to this day, as well as on its future prospects. Major changes currently taking place in relation to the production and distribution of books, the advance and overwhelming influence of the media, understanding of the distinct advantages of transmedia reading and the development of the related new discipline paving the way for the historical future of the book, have prompted numerous debates on the past and present of the book as a generic medium.
In its relation to the traditional book, the contemporary book is currently going through an expressly evolutive and revolutionary stage. Ongoing technological and social changes, digital textuality, the rise of the new reader and accompanying novel reading practice(s) as well as the looming of the social and literary-theoretical future of the book on the horizon where the book is regarded both in its relation to the individual as well as in terms of its communicational and society-building role, particularly in Croatia, all represent themes that require a productive dialogue involving all the interested parties.
The symposium’s programme will particularly focus on the following issues:
– The book in Croatia – institutional framework; intellectual, social and philological bases of written communication; comparative studies
– From form towards role – the cultural and social role of the book (text) and text-technology
– Writing, reading and reading practices – digital text paradigm; media environment and the book; transmedia reading practices; literature and reading
– The communicational, cognitive, social, aesthetic, form-and-society-building role of the book and reading
– Cultural policies and the book – book policy in Croatia, comparative analysis.
Apply for taking part in The Book and Society Symposium – online application form.